Friday, November 4, 2011

Animation

I want casting spells to feel fun and exciting for our users, so I'm putting a lot of time into crafting the user experience (UE) and the user interface (UI).

We can divide the spell casting experience into three parts: Before spell casting, during spell casting, and after spell casting. The UE/UI concerns are different in each case. In a future post, I'll start itemizing these concerns.

At the moment, I'm working on the "during spell casting" phase. Here, I'd like the objects under enchantment to really LOOK like they've been enchanted. To that end, I created a simple broom model in blender. I textured it in photoshop. Then I rigged and animated the broom in Blender so that it wriggles and writhes when it becomes enchanted.

Although this is just one detail that pertains to the "during spell casting" UE, I believe that the accumulation of artistic details is what makes for a truly immersive UE. Here's a video of the broom animation:


No comments: